Tabcorp Wagering Victoria is committed to making responsible gambling information available to our customers and employees so that our customers are able to make informed decisions regarding their entertainment choices.
3.1 Communication of this Code
We will communicate and promote this Code throughout our corporate Wagering operations, on our websites and throughout the TAB retail network. The full Code is available throughout the TAB retail network on the Information Terminals or TAB Form Terminals. It is also available via our website, www.tab.com.au. Hard copies of the Code can be provided to any customer who telephones the TAB call centre and requests to be sent a copy.
We will provide regular reminders of the existence of this Code in any contact we have with our customers via TAB or newsletters or any other means by which we may regularly contact our customers. Tabcorp Wagering Victoria has prominent messages on its websites that our operations are governed by a Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct and a Responsible Gambling message “Gamble Responsibly”.
Upon request we can make this Code available to our customers in Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Italian or Vietnamese. Requests for this Code to be made available in these other community languages should be made to Tabcorp Wagering via email at RGwagering@tabcorp.com.au
3.2 Review of this Code
A review of compliance with this Code (including compliance with this Code by our retail network) will be undertaken by Tabcorp on an annual basis.
This process will incorporate engagement with our customers, employees, representatives from gambling industry groups, problem gambling counselling services and community groups.
We will also conduct a further assessment of this Code on an as needs basis where there are significant changes in the Responsible Gambling environment. We will consult with our customers, employees, representatives from the various sectors of our operations, and representatives from gambling industry groups, problem gambling counselling services and community groups prior to making changes to this Code.
3.3 Information on request to interested stakeholders
We will provide information on request regarding this Code to interested stakeholders, including relevant community groups and agencies, governments, regulators, problem gambling counsellors and industry groups.
3.4 Tabcorp Wagering Policies and Procedures
Tabcorp Wagering Victoria ensures that all employees and the Tabcorp retail network is provided with compliance tools, information and training that supports this Code, and the responsible delivery of our wagering products and services.
These include operational policies and processes, clear lines of accountability for compliance with the Code, reporting mechanisms to report breaches of the Code and follow-up procedures for dealing with responsible gambling issues. We will also monitor the implementation and ongoing management of this Code throughout Tabcorp Wagering Victoria and the Tabcorp retail network.
Tabcorp Wagering Victoria requires all employees, Agents and their employees to understand the commitments and provisions of this Code and applicable regulations. We aim to ensure that all employees, Agents and their employees:
- Are equipped to deliver our wagering products and services to customers in accordance with this Code;
- Understand the possible behavioural indicators of problem gambling;
- Are equipped to maintain appropriate records of incidents occurring within their outlet; and
- Have the skills to deal with customers sensitively.
We require all Tabcorp employees, Agents and their employees to be trained in Responsible Gambling or take part in a Communications Program regarding our wagering products and services. The training and the Communications Program includes information on Responsible Gambling matters, including our Self Exclusion Programs and requires employees to understand the gambling support and counselling services available to customers, including applicable contact details.
All employees are trained in Responsible Gambling matters, this Code and the Tabcorp Wagering Self Exclusion Program via the Tabcorp Wagering Induction Program. Some employees involved in selling our gambling products undertake further targeted Responsible Gambling training.
Tabcorp Wagering Victoria provides refresher training to all staff at least once every 12 months and includes responsible gambling material in employee newsletters and magazines and displays responsible gambling material in the workplace to remind staff of Responsible Gambling policies and their responsibilities.
Agents and their employees are required to attend TAB Accreditation training. Tabcorp Wagering manages TAB Operator and TAB Licensed Venue Manager Accreditation Training Programs. Training in Responsible Gambling matters, this Code and the Tabcorp Wagering Self Exclusion Program forms an integral component of these training programs.
3.6 Key Performance Indicators
In the retail network, the Agency agreement between the Agent and Tabcorp Wagering Victoria requires a commitment to Responsible Gambling measures. Responsible Gambling breaches have a zero tolerance approach and Agency agreements can be terminated for breach of Responsible Gambling obligations.
3.7 Indicators of Problem Gambling by employees or customers
Tabcorp Wagering Victoria employees, Agents and their employees are trained in identifying behaviours that may indicate a customer has a problem with their gambling. Where an employee, Agent, their employee or customers are exhibiting or displaying observable signs of distress, or behaviour indicating a problem with their gambling, we:
- Ensure that they are provided with information on access to support services;
- Provide information to them on Tabcorp Wagering’s self exclusion program BetCare;
- Consider involuntary exclusion from our products and services;
- In the case of employees, Agents, and their employees, provide them with access to our Employee Assistance Line, managed by an external and independent professional counselling service;
- Support them in a sensitive and appropriate manner.
Signs that an employee, Agent, their employee or a customer requires assistance may include:
- Requests for self-exclusion, or self disclosure of a gambling related problem;
- Aggressive and anti-social behaviour, such as physical or verbal abuse; and,
- Requests to borrow money for gambling related purposes.
Employees, Agents and their employees are not trained to make assessments as to whether an individual is or is not a problem gambler, but must be aware of and respond to such indicators of distress in a sensitive manner.
We require that action taken in such circumstances be recorded by employees in the retail network in an appropriately maintained Responsible Gambling incident register.
3.8 Tabcorp Employee Gambling policy
The Tabcorp Employee Gambling policy applies to everyone who works at or for Tabcorp, including all employees and contractors (team members).
termination of employment or engagement with Tabcorp.
Tabcorp treats non-compliance seriously and resulting action could include suspension or
Team members can use Tabcorp’s products, with some restrictions. Team members can use Tabcorp’s gambling products when off duty and for Approved Use purposes.
Approved Use includes:
- Purchasing a lottery or raffle ticket, or logging in and viewing a personal betting account, during a lunch or other approved break.
- Using gambling products to perform their role (e.g. to test products as appropriate and reasonably required for a work-related purpose).
- Gambling when entertaining guests (hospitality), in a brand advocate capacity (such as at a Tabcorp live site or the Tabcorp Marquee), or (with relevant GM approval) as part of an internal team event or function.
- With team member’s GM approval, and provided no relevant restrictions apply, betting on a horse or greyhound that the team member owns or shares ownership of that is racing whilst that team member is on duty; or
- Participating in an office sweepstake as part of an internal team event.
No gambling on duty:
Other than an Approved Use, no team member may gamble on duty, including during meal and rest breaks. This means employees are not allowed to use any gambling product, including through a betting account, whether with Tabcorp or another provider.
TAB Agencies - All employees including Agents and their staff are prohibited from gambling at any time at the Venue where they are employed or anywhere whilst on duty (including rostered, paid and unpaid breaks).
Licensees - All Licensed Venues - All licensees are prohibited from wagering at any time at their Venue or anywhere whilst on duty (including rostered, paid and unpaid breaks).
ACT Licensed Venues - All staff are prohibited from gambling at any time at the Venue where they are employed or anywhere whilst on duty (including rostered, paid and unpaid breaks).
NSW/VIC Licensed Venues - All staff are prohibited from wagering with Tabcorp or any other provider at any location while on duty (including rostered, paid and unpaid breaks).
Venues may have in place additional restrictions on employees gambling at their venue.
3.9 Emerging technology and new products
Prior to the introduction of relevant new wagering products or services, including those which make use of emerging technology, Tabcorp Wagering Victoria will assess their likely impact on gambling behaviours in accordance with our commitment to Responsible Gambling.
All new wagering products and services, all marketing and all advertising is assessed by Tabcorp Wagering Victoria for Responsible Gambling impact, prior to release to the market.
3.10 Advertising, Marketing and Promotions
In compliance with the Tabcorp Wagering Victoria Marketing Sign off Program, Tabcorp Wagering Victoria ensures that any advertising, marketing or promotion:
- Complies with all applicable Commonwealth and State laws, regulations and codes relating to the advertising or promotion of wagering products, including the advertising code of ethics adopted by the Australian Association of National Advertisers;
- Are in good taste (given prevailing community standards) and are not offensive or indecent;
- Are factually correct, accurate and truthful.
- Are not false, misleading or deceptive, and do not misrepresent the probability of winning or financial gain.
- Is not intentionally directed, expressly or indirectly, to vulnerable or disadvantaged groups and minors.
- Will not be aimed at or designed to appeal to minors and do not appear in conjunction with an offer, event or facility advertisement that pertains to minors;
- Do not promote the consumption of alcohol while gambling and does not associate gambling with alcohol;
- Do not offer any rewards, inducement or vouchers that encourage customers to bet more frequently;
- Have the consent of any person identified as winning a prize prior to publication;
- Is socially responsible;
- Does not promote gambling as a means of funding routine household purchases or costs of living or for relieving financial or personal difficulties;
- Does not create an impression that gambling is a reasonable strategy for financial betterment;
- Does not promote gambling as a means of enhancing social standing or employment, social or sexual prospects;
- Does not make claims related to winning or prizes that can be won that are not based on fact, are unable to be proven or are exaggerated;
- Does not state or imply that a player’s skill can influence the outcome of a gambling activity;
- Does not exaggerate the connection between the gambling activity and the use to which the gambler’s profits may be put.
In South Australia, Tabcorp Wagering Victoria has specific obligations to South Australian customers when advertising and marketing our products and services. In that State, all advertising and marketing will include either the South Australian condensed or expanded warning message. The condensed warning message is Gamble Responsibly.
The expanded warning messages are
- Know when to stop. Don’t go over the top. Gamble responsibly
- Think of the people who need your support. Gamble responsibly
- Don’t chase your losses. Walk away. Gamble responsibly
- Don’t let the game play you. Stay in control. Gamble responsibly
- Stay in control. Leave before you lose it. Gamble responsibly
- You know the score. Stay in control. Gamble responsibly
Where the expanded warning messages are used, they will be used for at least 6 months and then rotated.
In South Australia, we will not advertise our products or services on radio between 6am and 8.30am Monday to Friday and on television between 4pm and 7.30pm Monday to Friday.
In Queensland Tabcorp Wagering Victoria have specific obligations to Queensland customers when advertising and marketing our products and services. In that state, we will ensure that positive responsible gambling messages are incorporated in our advertising and promotions and the Queensland Gambling Helpline Logo and telephone number is displayed.
The positive responsible gambling message is Gamble Responsibly.
In Western Australia Tabcorp Wagering Victoria have specific obligations to Western Australian customers when advertising and marketing our products and services. In that state, we will ensure our advertisements include:
- The telephone number for the national problem gambling helpline; and
- Details of the national on-line counselling website.
In New South Wales Tabcorp Wagering Victoria have specific obligations to New South Wales customers when advertising and marketing our products and services. In that State, we will ensure our advertisements include:
- Gambling information and Warnings - Think! About your choices Call Gambling Help;
- The telephone number for Gambling Help; and
- The Gambling help website address.
Tabcorp Wagering Victoria ensures that we comply with our obligations for responsible advertising and promotions by:
- Assessing each Australian jurisdiction’s requirements when advertising our products and services and produce Advertising Checklists to be used by Tabcorp Wagering Victoria employees;
- We communicate information to our employees regarding our responsible advertising and promotions obligations;
- We train all Tabcorp Wagering Victoria employees in our responsible advertising and promotions obligations through both our induction training and ongoing Marketing training;
- We will use all best endeavours to ensure that our self-excluded patrons do not receive correspondence or promotional material relating to our products or services;
- We operate in accordance with the Tabcorp Wagering Victoria Marketing Sign off Program that has measures in place to ensure that our advertising and promotions comply with these commitments. All advertising and marketing must be signed off by a senior marketing manager, and be subject to a compliance and responsible gambling review before it is released to market.
Tabcorp Wagering Victoria is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and acts in accordance with this Act. Tabcorp Wagering Victoria has systems and processes in place that ensure our compliance with the National Privacy Principles.